1. Tell us a little about yourself:
The Lipstick Diary was founded by me (Larissa) and my sister Pravani Subramoney in May 2015. We were born and brought up in Johannesburg and are actually 4 years a part in age but have grown up as if we were twins. We wore identical sets of clothing until I reached the age of 15 and had to start shopping in the adult section (such a bummer). I have a Bachelor of Law Degree under my belt and currently working as a second year Candidate Attorney in an International Law Firm in Sandton. My sister is currently in her final year of obtaining her Bcom Law Degree and dreams to travel the world one day as an air hostess on Emirates. We love each other, new places & food!
2. What are some of your main passions and why are they important to you?
Because we have a blog most people paint us with a brush that we probably only have interests in beauty, fashion & all things girly however this cannot be further from the truth. We both have other passions outside our blogging lives which consists of FAMILY, adventure and love.
We are also both very passionate about education; I guess it was instilled in us at a very young age by our parents. We have volunteered at a few schools in Alexandra and Lenasia where we have dedicated our Saturday mornings to tutoring children in Maths and English to help them understand the basics which would inevitably result in them doing better at school. It is really important for us to make a difference in the community we live in.
Besides our love for philanthropy we LOVE to hit the gym, being active and finding ourselves being one with nature. Any chance we get you will most probably find us doing one of the above (on days we haven’t fallen of the wagon) because of everyone’s favourite pastime called “FOOD”.
3. What are the 5 invaluable tips you can share for shooting looks, what would they be?
- Plan your looks in advance, for example we type out our ideas in our notes on our phones and then make final choices at least a day before we shoot.
- The best time to shoot is usually sunrise or sunset however we have shot at different times during the day and it has worked out for us but make sure there are shady areas where you can take those detailed shots because direct sunlight can affect the picture quality and cast shadows on your face (unless that’s the look you’re going for).
- Less is usually more, no seriously! Don’t feel the pressure of having too many accessories in your shots, because sometimes they look misplaced in the pictures or you tend to look uncomfortable. If you can shoot without it I would suggest leaving it out, I know we do unless it part of the job spec.
- Do not procrastinate or doubt yourself it will turn out to be amazing if you believe in yourself first.
- Have fun, honestly it is KEY to channel happy positive energy because it translates in your pictures whether you have to be grunge or Barbie !
4. What camera do you use to shoot? and do you have any favourite locations or backdrops?
We use a Nikon D550 to shoot.
Our favourite locations are usually anything outdoors because we generally prefer natural lighting in our pictures so:
-Long streets; or
-On any rooftop.
5. What are some apps you can’t live without?
- Instasize and
- Waze (to find all those events)
6. Where do you get most of your inspiration?
We gain inspiration from each other as we both have two very distinct styles. I am more of your tomboy and my sister is your complete girly-girly, so we bounce ideas of each other for each other to try something new that we would normally never wear but obviously we have the liberty of styling it our way. Instagram, Pintrest and various other Blogs locally and internationally are also a great source of inspiration.
7. Describe your personal style
As I said earlier I am more of your edgy tomboy with hints of feminine. I am a lover of ‘basics’ such as all things denim, leather and cotton. My favourites have to be duffer jackets/ capes and shoes in all varieties…but I can totally change it up when I am in the mood into a dress with a masculine jacket and heels on great days but my Timbs on others.My sister on the other hand is your sometimes glamorous, sometimes bohemian girly girl. She loves her heels, paired with shorts, an off the shoulder top or alternatively a short cotton dresses (because hello killer legs) but she can also glam up any look with her love for red lipstick!
Although we have our different views on what should and shouldn’t be considered fashionable we still aren’t afraid to try something new!
8. Favourite colour of the moment
Larissa: “BLACK” (cliché I know) and NUDE
Pravani: PASTELS and NUDE
9. What is your go to outfit/look?
Larissa: Denim jeans, a basic T-Shirt, leather jacket and boots/ heels.
Pravani: Dress/ Shorts jumpsuit and sandals/ heels.
10. Who is your favourite fashion icon?
Our fashion icons range from Zendaya to Kourtney Kardashian because they can channel edgy, tomboy but glam it up really quick. We love how versatile they are when it comes to their individual styles which are what we both collectively have going on together.
11. What is your dream collaboration?
Our dream collaboration would be partnering up with local/ international brands to attend fashion events overseas either in our representative capacities or to document the upcoming trends etc. be it beauty or fashion. Let’s start with Mercedes Benz Fashion Week and then work our way up to New York and London Fashion week.
12. What does a typical day look like for you?
We both technically have the same routines other than the fact that I have little time to keep up with series as I work later than usual ‘lawyering’ and have to wear extra concealer to cover those Prada bags under my eyes.
– Work / Campus
We do obviously attend the odd event or two and find time in the early parts of the morning to keep up with our blog.